Terry takes on #MeToo, Weinstein, Trump and John Cleese!!
(03-19-2018, 12:52 PM)cclark Wrote: Interesting analysis by Nimue Brown: https://druidlife.wordpress.com/2018/03/...y-gilliam/
"We are to understand that women are the manipulators here, Harvey’s just a regular guy, doing nothing weird, unfair or creepy at all. "... Well Gilliam calls him a monster in the interview so the analysis caricatures his opinion...
(03-19-2018, 03:39 PM)bruttenholm Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 12:52 PM)cclark Wrote: Interesting analysis by Nimue Brown: https://druidlife.wordpress.com/2018/03/...y-gilliam/
"We are to understand that women are the manipulators here, Harvey’s just a regular guy, doing nothing weird, unfair or creepy at all. "... Well Gilliam calls him a monster in the interview so the analysis caricatures his opinion...

But in the interview, Gilliam also makes the mistake of using the Frankenstein's Castle analogy when talking about mob rule. In the story, Frankenstein literally created a monster. Witch hunts are about innocent people being persecuted for crimes they didn't commit. Gilliam's comments about "a world of victims" showed a lack of empathy and his comments about "a night with Weinstein" normalizes the problem, which undoes any points he had. I'd like to read a full transcript of the interview, or hear him clarify his argument, but right now all we have to go on is the original interview from the AFP website. It doesn't help that the interview is getting cherry-picked by the Hollywood Press and elsewhere.
You really think he said that Dr Frankenstein was the good guy ?? His analogy is based on the famous mistake of calling the creature Frankenstein : in the film the mob goes after the monster...
Maybe my english betrays me but I'm utterly surprised at the amount of people (*) who take from this interview that Gilliam is defending Weinstein... You don't defend someone when you call him a monster and an asshole.

(*) I even read a message board where someone speculated that Gilliam and Weinstein were partners in crime in abusing women.
I think the Frankenstein remark was just a gaffe on his part, to go along with the "mob rule" analogy. I don't think he went far enough with bashing Weinstein, although given his history he certainly could have (maybe he did and they cut it out of the article). Normalizing is not necessarily agreeing with or defending the person and he seems a bit harsher towards the "world of victims" than the Hollywood casting couch culture which enabled monsters like Harvey. There was probably a better way he could've worded things, and of course we don't have a full transcript of the interview. The reason why people are so sensitive about this now is because this sort of thing has always gone on and then brushed under the rug. People should protect themselves from these sort of predators, but there should be more than a little empathy for those who were only guilty of being a little too trusting.
(03-19-2018, 04:29 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: You really think he said that Dr Frankenstein was the good guy ?? His analogy is based on the famous mistake of calling the creature Frankenstein : in the film the mob goes after the monster...
Maybe my english betrays me but I'm utterly surprised at the amount of people (*) who take from this interview that Gilliam is defending Weinstein... You don't defend someone when you call him a monster and an asshole.

(*) I even read a message board where someone speculated that Gilliam and Weinstein were partners in crime in abusing women.

Tchoh! If these people read Bob McCabe's Dreams and Nightmares, they'll know the true truth of what happened on The Brothers Grimm.
(03-19-2018, 05:43 PM)Donald McKinney Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 04:29 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: (*) I even read a message board where someone speculated that Gilliam and Weinstein were partners in crime in abusing women.

Tchoh! If these people read Bob McCabe's Dreams and Nightmares, they'll know the true truth of what happened on The Brothers Grimm.

Yeah that is surprising. Even without the allegations, I don't believe Gilliam would ever want to be a partner with Weinstein in anything after his experience on Grimm.
(03-19-2018, 05:57 PM)cclark Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 05:43 PM)Donald McKinney Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 04:29 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: (*) I even read a message board where someone speculated that Gilliam and Weinstein were partners in crime in abusing women.

Yeah that is surprising. Even without the allegations, I don't believe Gilliam would ever want to be a partner with Weinstein in anything after his experience on Grimm.

The Weinstein's weren't the only choice the makers had. MGM had the project but when the budget started to rise, they nearly dropped it. Two interested parties came forwards looking to co-produce the film. The first was Intermedia Films, (who were known for financing films like Sliding Doors, Adaptation and Oliver Stone's Alexander), Intermedia offered a big deal offering to handle the films international rights with MGM handling US distribution. Then the Weinstein's came forwards, they offered less money but would take the US rights, with Summit Entertainment handling the international rights, MGM were happier with that set up. Imagine how different things would have been if MGM had gone with Intermedia's offer...
(03-19-2018, 05:43 PM)Donald McKinney Wrote: Tchoh! If these people read Bob McCabe's Dreams and Nightmares, they'll know the true truth of what happened on The Brothers Grimm.
Nobody reads those kind of books. I mean most people haven't even heard of Gilliam before that and here comes a mish mash of opinions with old photos of Gilliam and Weinstein laughing side by side resurfacing, what do you except ? Hell, even Asia Argento thought that Gilliam was defending Weinstein and was siding with him against Pecorini in the conflict they had on Grimm...
Gilliam has massive public explanations to make if he expects his film not to be dumped on 10 screens or just in vod (if it gets released at all)... When the producer of La La Land is rejoicing on twitter that we won't hear of you ever again, it means you're clearly a pariah.

And frankly as a fan who waited 20 years to see his Quixote I'm so angry at him... What was he thinking ? How could he imagine that dropping casually that actresses were trading sex with weinstein against work would be a relevant opinion in today's world ?? To be honest I'm devastated in front of his stupidness. I mean there's a time and a place, hasn't he any superego that would have prevented him of saying any hot take that floats in his mind ? I don't manage to realize how we got this far for everything to blow off on the finish line out of sheer stupidity.
(03-19-2018, 10:08 PM)bruttenholm Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 05:43 PM)Donald McKinney Wrote: Tchoh! If these people read Bob McCabe's Dreams and Nightmares, they'll know the true truth of what happened on The Brothers Grimm.
Nobody reads those kind of books. I mean most people haven't even heard of Gilliam before that and here comes a mish mash of opinions with old photos of Gilliam and Weinstein laughing side by side resurfacing, what do you except ? Hell, even Asia Argento thought that Gilliam was defending Weinstein and was siding with him against Pecorini in the conflict they had on Grimm...
Gilliam has massive public explanations to make if he expects his film not to be dumped on 10 screens or just in vod (if it gets released at all)... When the producer of La La Land is rejoicing on twitter that we won't hear of you ever again, it means you're clearly a pariah.

And frankly as a fan who waited 20 years to see his Quixote I'm so angry at him... What was he thinking ? How could he imagine that dropping casually that actresses were trading sex with weinstein against work would be a relevant opinion in today's world ?? To be honest I'm devastated in front of his stupidness. I mean there's a time and a place, hasn't he any superego that would have prevented him of saying any hot take that floats in his mind ? I don't manage to realize how we got this far for everything to blow off on the finish line out of sheer stupidity.

Stupid or not, it had to be said, the whole #MeToo and #TimesUp thing has brought out a dark side in celebrities. It has done good, but if a new allegation comes out, EVERYONE HAS TO BELIEVE IT. Erm, are we not allowed to make our own minds up about it? Are we not allowed to have opinions anymore? Isn't that what freedom of speech is about? Look at Woody Allen, all the allegations about him have been regurgitated, even though Allen was found not guilty, but because of #MeToo, you'd think he was guilty. It's become a Black Mirror nightmare scenario come true.
(03-19-2018, 10:32 PM)Donald McKinney Wrote: Stupid or not, it had to be said, the whole #MeToo and #TimesUp thing has brought out a dark side in celebrities. It has done good, but if a new allegation comes out, EVERYONE HAS TO BELIEVE IT. Erm, are we not allowed to make our own minds up about it? Are we not allowed to have opinions anymore? Isn't that what freedom of speech is about? Look at Woody Allen, all the allegations about him have been regurgitated, even though Allen was found not guilty, but because of #MeToo, you'd think he was guilty. It's become a Black Mirror nightmare scenario come true.

It was Dylan Farrow's 2014 letter to the New York Times that brought the 1993 Woody Allen custody trial back into the spotlight: https://kristof.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/0...an-farrow/

The 1993 Woody Allen Custody Ruling itself:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/danny-she...46866.html

All I can say is that Manhattan is a difficult film to watch now.

There may be criminal charges made against Weinstein in NYC soon, and the Cosby trial will certainly come to a close later this year. The other #MeToo accusations seem to more about general sexual misconduct, without any criminal charges needed. Most of these people will probably keep their heads down for a while and have some sort of comeback down the road.

Some of what we see as being a witch hunt is just social media noise. It's hard to know what to take seriously when the news cycles are at warp speed and the trending topics online are gossipy clickbait noise.

I share Bruttenholm's frustration over Gilliam's comments, but I'm hoping that everybody forgets this soon and moves onto the next thing. This way Gilliam can prepare some sort of clarification/apology for his more insensitive comments when Quixote is in Cannes. If it were just another Gilliam film (a rare thing itself), it might be in more danger of having a proper release, but there are hopefully enough film fans who will want to see this out of curiosity due to its history. Let's hope Gilliam takes some advise from his wife this time.