Terry takes on #MeToo, Weinstein, Trump and John Cleese!!
You'll have heard about this interview Gilliam has done an interview for the Paris premiere of Benvenuto Cellini, he's gone on the offensive in an interview where he takes aim at the whole #MeToo movement, Harvey Weinstein, Donald Trump and even John Cleese's stance on Brexit: http://variety.com/2018/film/news/terry-...202728819/

He's right you know... Wink He's received massive backlash for his comments about Weinstein and #MeToo, but you know something? It's about time someone stood up and exposed it for the online kangaroo court that it truly is. It's mob mentality, and someone needs to step in and put a stop to it.
His comment on the mob mentality is something, his comment on the actresses wanting to sleep with weinstein is another and it's tone-deaf at best, misguided and dangerous at worst. Though he's one of the directors to have directly suffered from Weinstein, he's now seen by the press as his first defender. He completely missed a good opportunity to just don't say anything and be supportive. Now he's close to being finished, as today I'm not even sure his Quixote will be released in theaters in the US eventually and I doubt Cannes will select it now that they named Cate Blanchett president of the jury as a nod to the Metoo and Timesup movements. He'll have to do a lot of explaining and apologizing if he wants to come out of this in one piece, we'll see what his next move is in the coming days but he'll have to react quickly.
(03-17-2018, 02:23 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: His comment on the mob mentality is something, his comment on the actresses wanting to sleep with weinstein is another and it's tone-deaf at best, misguided and dangerous at worst. Though he's one of the directors to have directly suffered from Weinstein, he's now seen by the press as his first defender. He completely missed a good opportunity to just don't say anything and be supportive. Now he's close to being finished, as today I'm not even sure his Quixote will be released in theaters in the US eventually and I doubt Cannes will select it now that they named Cate Blanchett president of the jury as a nod to the Metoo and Timesup movements. He'll have to do a lot of explaining and apologizing if he wants to come out of this in one piece, we'll see what his next move is in the coming days but he'll have to react quickly.

Not so drastic, he'll survive this. Hollywood has a short memory anyways, Don Quixote will still get released. Besides, it's not like Gilliam did anything Weinstein did. I agree with him, but he could have chosen his words, especially regarding those who slept with Weinstein, with a little more tact.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/e...am-1095312
Quote:Ellen Barkin has some advice for her Twitter followers: Don't get into a lift with director Terry Gilliam.

On Saturday the Animal Kingdom actress posted on Twitter, "My hard won advice: never get into an elevator alone with terry gilliam." When a follower posted a GIF of a person looking concerned and creeped out, Barkin responded, "you got it, my friend."
I guess Barkin will have to give more details in further interviews.
As I said, when you make allegations, you need EVIDENCE. She hasn't said what happened or what it was. He could have farted in the elevator for all we know. Tongue
I don't agree with all of Terry's reported comments on #MeToo - yet a response in a short interview is a very poor way to understand the entirety of someone's views on a matter.

Yet the strong response on Twitter seems to reinforce rather than denounce Terry's point about mob rule.
(03-18-2018, 02:14 PM)phildreams Wrote: I don't agree with all of Terry's reported comments on #MeToo - yet a response in a short interview is a very poor way to understand the entirety of someone's views on a matter.

Yet the strong response on Twitter seems to reinforce rather than denounce Terry's point about mob rule.

Well said Phil, it has proved his point, but it's had a knock on effect. Like I said, I get what he was getting at, but he could have phrased it with a little more tact.
In Gilliam's defence, in the original AFP interview, he also said this:
Quote:Gilliam said the biggest failure of the 1960s generation was not delivering true equality for women.

"The only thing that we did not do well is get women paid the same money as men are paid for the same job, that's the one big failure of our time."

https://www.afp.com/en/news/721/hollywoo...oc-12m6cl1

I believe he was sincere when he said that, which makes his more cynical/defeatist tone elsewhere in the interview all the more disheartening. Matt Damon didn't need his help at that point and to dredge this thing up after Matt already tried to fix it seemed a bit foolish.
Here's an interview with Ellen Barkin on her favorite directors (from 2015):
https://film.avclub.com/ellen-barkin-on-...1798277840

Quote:Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)—“Waitress at North Star Café”
Ellen Barkin: [Laughs.] I don’t know why everyone talks to me about that movie. I’m in it for five seconds. I went down there to do the one real scene as the waitress at the North Star Café. And then Terry [Gilliam] decided it would be fun, since I’m in disguise with a wig and a fake ass and hips—my whole body was padded—to keep disguising me and insert me in, I think, two or three other scenes.

The A.V. Club: What were you disguised as?

EB: One time, I was in a club that they were all in, and I had some fringed, revealing outfit on, very scantily clad. Then I was part of their check-in scene, where I was dressed up as some Middle America lady. But it was fascinating to watch Terry, who I have loved and adored. So I was happy that he just kept saying, “Don’t go home.” I think he liked having me there, and he knew that I liked being there. So he’d just say, “Can you stay, and be in the nightclub scene, and we’ll disguise you again?” And I would say, “Sure.”

He’s fascinating to watch. It’s an interesting combination, because he has storyboards, if I remember correctly, so he’s got it pretty much planned out, but it’s so loose that he just goes with whatever’s happening on the set. So it’s a kind of perfect combination of a director who knows exactly what he wants out of the scene and how he wants to shoot it, and then will be willing to turn that around 180 degrees if one actor does one interesting thing that catches his eye. And he was very open to the kind of quirky improvisation of Benicio [Del Toro] and Johnny Depp.
So why would she say that then turn around and make some cryptic claim on Twitter? Very two faced.