The Making of Quixote
Not as interesting as any Cannes 2018 updates or release news (as it may be a bit too soon to bang the drum for the 2019 Oscars), but it's nice to see Quixote in this list, as well as more confirmation of the Amazon/A24 as co-distributors of the film.

Quote:The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (Amazon/A24)

Director: Terry Gilliam

Synopsis: An advertising executive jumps back and forth in time between 21st century London and 17th century La Mancha, where Don Quixote mistakes him for Sancho Panza.

Like Martin Scorsese’s Silence a few years ago, Don Quixote is a film Terry Gilliam has been trying to make for decades. There have been Werner Herzog-level disasters, fallings out and fall throughs on this picture but it seems like it’s finally ready to see the light of day. But, will the Academy bite?

Quote from 2019 Oscars: The Best Picture Contenders (as of March 2018), via AwardsWatch.com: http://awardswatch.com/2018/03/08/2019-o...first-man/
To be honest, I'd be a bit disappointed if the film would be just presented in an out-of-competition slot. I'm not sure this would be the best way to put it in the light (unless it's the opening film). I'd prefer to see it in competition. Then again, the Cannes crowd is particularly tough so if showing the film out of competition enables it to dodge the most vicious reviews, it might be for the best.

As a sidenote, Gilliam is in France these days for his staging of Benvenuto Cellini andd he said in an interview that it took him one year to love his film but now he's very proud of it Smile .
(03-14-2018, 07:26 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: To be honest, I'd be a bit disappointed if the film would be just presented in an out-of-competition slot. I'm not sure this would be the best way to put it in the light (unless it's the opening film). I'd prefer to see it in competition. Then again, the Cannes crowd is particularly tough so if showing the film out of competition enables it to dodge the most vicious reviews, it might be for the best.

As a sidenote, Gilliam is in France these days for his staging of Benvenuto Cellini andd he said in an interview that it took him one year to love his film but now he's very proud of it Smile .

To be fair, Gilliam hasn't had much luck at Cannes. He premiered Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas there 20 years ago, and it was booed by the critics, plus the committee rejected Tideland for competition, mainly because, according to Gilliam, of farting in the first reel. Tongue

But, when Monty Python's The Meaning of Life won the Grand Jury Prize in 1983, Gilliam boasted that it was his preceding short that won it for them. Tongue
Quote:As a sidenote, Gilliam is in France these days for his staging of Benvenuto Cellini andd he said in an interview that it took him one year to love his film but now he's very proud of it Smile.

That's great to hear. It seems Gilliam's films need to grow on Gilliam as well. On another note, If Gilliam is in France, could that mean post-production is done? Or that he's most likely at the stage where things can be done remotely?
I don't know. The recent surge of posts on Gilliam facebook page would also indicate post-production is mostly done, and if the final mix has been finished last month, I don't think there's much work left to do.
Anyway, the announcement of Cannes selection is in 3 weeks so I suppose the Cannes selection committee will see the film in the coming days, if they haven't seen it yet.
This is just pure speculation as Quixote is still listed as in post-production on the IMDb, but with Gilliam's recent controversial comments, I wouldn't be surprised if the Quixote film release gets bumped to the Fall (but hopefully still with a Cannes premier in May). It's probably better for all concerned that the film premiers in the out-of-competition slot at this point.
From the rumors I heard (of course Phil would know but his lips are sealed Smile ) the actual plan was to release the film in the Fall to play some awards campaign... I guess this hypothesis seems now quite unlikely. Anyway they should go for Cannes and go for competition so that the press feel obliged to talk about the film (instead of scandals). If it's going out of competition, there's always the possibility for journalists to just ignore it.
Then again, I suppose distributors are taking time to see how the situation is evolving and evaluate what mess they're in and if they can still succeed in marketing the film or if they'd better cut costs to the minimum and dump it on 10 screens or something.
Terry is certainly entitled to his opinion, but it is hard, even painful, for me to articulate how disappointed I am in his comments. Most glaring is his lack of empathy for young actresses being taken advantage of by powerful men. Without a doubt, individual situations can be nuanced and complex. And yet there can be little doubt as to the underlying truth of the #MeToo movement. Surely, women deserve to feel safe and stand on their own talents.

As a director, Mr. Gilliam has long been my hero for his vision and for being a maverick. He has distinguished himself by his tenacity and fearlessness. Saying outlandish things is one of his trademarks. This recent episode is different, however. Such comments strike me as being incredibly thoughtless and selfish. I think of the hundreds of talented individuals who gave their heart and soul to help create his long-delayed Quixote film. Their efforts will have been extremely slighted if the film gets a limited release. A shadow has been cast over the whole endeavor and over the director himself. Reaching the end of his career this might have been one final chance to achieve the sort of critical acclaim that has often eluded him. Instead, many of his fans, myself included, shake our heads and wish it was all a dream.
You're right, I also thought of his crew, with many members working for scale just for the sheer prestige of the project... With a film release on the horizon, Gilliam isn't just his own spokesman, he's representing the film and his crew, too.
Business as usual. Gilliam posted this on Facebook, no sign of an apology or retraction. Tongue

[Image: nzgj7n.jpg]