The Making of Quixote
By the way, the music for the film is being recorded right now : https://twitter.com/roquebanos/status/93...4443214848
Here's Roque Baños' Spotify page, if anyone is curious about his other scores: https://open.spotify.com/artist/1eEkeLJTVHWDrxBDf6xuVh
I could imagine something like his music for Alatriste on a Quixote film...
Anybody care to translate or verify the other text accompanying this tweet? https://twitter.com/So_Film/status/938820120050388993

The tweet itself translated into English:
Quote:Press release: "THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE: Paulo Branco wins the case against Terry Gilliam

I really hope this isn’t true.
It says that a london court has dismissed Jeremy Thomas's company's claim to cancel the option taken by Paulo Branco on the screenplay. The text concludes by saying that therefore Paulo Branco's company is the sole owner of all the rights regarding the film.

It should be noted that the statement comes from Branco's company so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially the last part... I can't imagine how one company (who by the way did not work on the film) could be the sole owner of every rights on a film.
What I can imagine as the following step is the producers having to pay for the rights on the screenplay, maybe.
(09-02-2017, 11:16 AM)bruttenholm Wrote: Oscar Jaenada (who plays the gipsy in the film, I think) confirms that the premiere of the film is planned for the next Cannes film festival.

Quote:Jaenada acaba de rodar 'The Man Who Killed Don Quijote', de Terry Gilliam, «que estrenaremos en Cannes el año que viene"

(12-08-2017, 07:31 AM)bruttenholm Wrote: It says that a london court has dismissed Jeremy Thomas's company's claim to cancel the option taken by Paulo Branco on the screenplay. The text concludes by saying that therefore Paulo Branco's company is the sole owner of all the rights regarding the film.

It should be noted that the statement comes from Branco's company so it has to be taken with a pinch of salt, especially the last part... I can't imagine how one company (who by the way did not work on the film) could be the sole owner of every rights on a film.
What I can imagine as the following step is the producers having to pay for the rights on the screenplay, maybe.

As I said, Amazon could step in and offer some panacea or palliative to either make Branco go away or give him a hefty kiss-off to draw a line under the whole matter, by hefty kiss-off, I mean a cash settlement. They'll possibly have to give Branco a credit or something, but a small bump in the road in the grand scheme of things.
Quote:"Don Quixote": Paulo Branco wins new lawsuit for Terry Gilliam's film rights
The producer of Paulo Branco reported that the London Court was right in another dispute around "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote." Now were the rights to the argument.
After the Tribunal de Grande Instance of Paris confirmed in May the validity of the contract between Alfama Films Production of producer Paulo Branco and director Terry Gilliam in the project "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote", the London Court ruled on 5 December rejected the request of the Recorded Picture, of the producer Jeremy Thomas, of the expiration of the option on the rights of the argument.

The information was advanced by Leopardo Filmes, also by Paulo Branco, who in a statement stressed that the decision "confirms that Alfama Films Production is in full possession of the rights over the argument and condemns the Recorded Picture to reimburse it all court costs. "

The statement from the producer of Paulo Branco adds that the two verdicts so far known are that "Alfama Films Production and Leopardo Filmes are the only ones that have all the rights to this film with all the consequences that result."

There is no official reaction from Terry Gilliam and the other producers involved in this co-production between Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium and England.

This is yet another chapter in the contractual dispute between Paulo Branco and Terry Gilliam, who in October 2016 ravaged Portuguese on social networks, formalizing the breach of trust for this allegedly failing to fulfill promises related to the financing of the project.

Although the contract dispute continues in the courts, the filming eventually progressed, with the Portuguese coproducer Ukbar Filmes. The budget was 16 million euros, of which 1.2 million euros were spent in our country, said in May producer Pandora da Cunha Telles.

With an argument by Terry Gilliam and Tony Grisoni, "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is a transposition of Miguel Cervantes' well-known novel for the present. It is a project of passion that the director tried to do for almost 20 years and whose filming began in 2000 with Johnny Depp. An acclaimed documentary, "Lost in La Mancha," from 2002, showed the misfortunes surrounding production, from actor-to-storm illnesses that wreaked havoc, scheduling conflicts, and financial problems.

In this new version, American actor Adam Driver ("Star Wars: The Awakening of the Force", "Paterson") is an advertiser who returns to Spain and meets a man who thinks he is Don Quixote, played by Jonathan Pryce. The French actress of Ukrainian origin Olga Kurylenko is also part of the cast.

Original article here (in Portuguese): https://mag.sapo.pt/cinema/atualidade-ci...ry-gilliam

Here's hoping Amazon steps in soon.
Paulo Branco's making a big fuss out of this but there's no way he could prevent the film from being released... What he's trying to prove is that his option on the screenplay is still active therefore he should be counted as a producer and being given a share of the profits.
For the moment, I don't see why and how amazon should step up, as the problem is between producers. Also from what I remember, Branco has sued the production in every country involved in the film, so there sould still be spanish, portuguese and belgian verdicts to wait for...
(12-11-2017, 02:02 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: Also from what I remember, Branco has sued the production in every country involved in the film, so there should still be spanish, portuguese and belgian verdicts to wait for...

I remember that as well & I agree with everything you said. Amazon shouldn't need to step in unless Branco does something desperate (like block the film).
It's a wonder Branco hasn't tried that, but would he lower himself to being that dickish?