The Making of Quixote
I guess that's true, the only trouble free productions he's had are the likes of Tideland or The Zero Theorem.
Scandal in Portugal : the crew has apparently damaged the Convent of Christ -classified by the unesco- where they filmed for 3 weeks : https://www.rtp.pt/noticias/pais/covento...e_v1005800
Gilliam makes it official.
Yeah, if you read the comments, they're criticising him for damaging the UNESCO site. :/
A resident of Tomar who has been an extra on the film also has a more nuanced view on the subject : https://www.facebook.com/anacarolina.fre...6242406757
(this thing is blown out of proportions when you seen that the damages showcased in the news report are chipped stones and broken tiles... I guess it makes a good story but there are probably not too noble motives behind those claims... Like forcing the insurance to pay for the restoration of the site for instance.)
I've saved others the trouble of going to Google Translate for the above link:
Quote:It was not to comment anything on this subject but since I have seen so much publication of people without notion here goes:
Never a report made me want to laugh so much as the frauds on the part of the employees of the convent do not comment, because I only like to speak of what I know; I want to speak of the "destruction of the Convent of Christ" by the film's production team.
I've been on the recordings of the movie, I had the opportunity to play the role of the extras, and I can say that this report is at least ridiculous, I believe that with all that confusion hundreds of people and material would run from one place to another, There were little havoc, chipped stones, a little broken, now "convent destruction"?
Cut trees? If they really were cut, I say this because I do not know if they had not been cut before, and as I said, I only speak of what I know, they were cut with the authorization of the Convent's direction.
Practical example: I invite you to come to my house, ask if you can break a chair, I say yes, who will be to blame?
Not to mention that the recordings were made a month ago, just notice now?
Still as for the trees, in the report there is a gentleman who says something like "this is not done, trees are living beings", yes they are, but when there are football games? Are you going all over the rotunda, get out of the flowers and the grass? Ah, yes, that does not hurt! It is football, there is no longer the argument of "living beings", it is only for what suits the Portuguese.
The fire of 20 meters, once again, were made was authorized. They do not say directly, but they imply that they did not know what it would be to make a fire, or the first day I was there I saw a carload of gas cylinders, a fire truck at the door of the convent, with a hose ready, Bad, and the fire in the middle of the cloister, I realized that it would be to burn, you do not have to be the Sherlock Holmes to realize it. So do not tell me that the Convent people did not know what was going to happen there.
I'm probably wrong, but I do not understand what the problem is that they did, a fact that was in the center of a cloister, outdoors, with due precautions and the fire was soon erased as soon as they finished the scene.
The time I had there the production staff was fed up with scolding for the trash that the extras left on the ground because the space "had been borrowed and we had to have respect for the monument", now do not come to say that these same people destroyed it .
I would also like to say that the person who provided the pictures on the set of the film, and the "damn campfire" that will bother the tugas until they remember something else to complain about, was extremely irresponsible since before the film was shot All the people involved signed a statement on how they could not take it, and clearly, much less publicize photos from the film set, and what did that person do? Sent the photos to RTP1 ...
Want to complain on Facebook to forget your day-to-day frustrations? Do you need someone to call names to relieve your inner rage that you can only drive out through Internet comment? Do not blame the production of the film, do not blame Terry Gilliam. They blame the direction of the Convent, because if there really was a fault it was theirs.
Kisses and hugs
Gilliam has been on Facebook calling it all bollocks, nothing was chipped or chopped down.
Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce snapped, presumably after a days filming: https://www.instagram.com/p/BUpt0TuDdZz/
Notice that Terry Gilliam replied to his portuguese accusators in the comments on facebook :
"Whoa!! Let's call a sot to this ignorant nonsense. I think the Conveto di Cristois one of the most glorious buildings I have ever seen. Everythng we did there was to protect the building from harm.. and we succeeded. Trees were not cut down, stones were not broken. The " bonfire" was inspired by Las Fallas in Valencia. It wa a religious festival whee all the negative objects of the last year a re sacrificed. There was not an iota of disrespect involved. People should begin by getting the facts before howling hysterically."
By the way, the producer Gerardo Herrero indicates that the Paris judgement is clear in saying that Paulo Branco has no rights over the film and that the contract problem is just a formal probelm between Gilliam and him, not having anything to do with production or release dates :
http://www.elmundo.es/cultura/cine/2017/...b45ff.html
In another article, El Pais confirms that version : http://cultura.elpais.com/cultura/2017/0...84410.html