The Master and Margarita
The Master and Margarita by the Russian author Mikhail Bulgakov would be ideal material for Gilliam to cover, once he's cleared off his plate of his other long-gestating projects. I've seen pictures of Terry Gilliam on Twitter, snapping his own pictures of the famous Moscow park, Patriarch's Ponds (where key scenes from the novel take place), while he was making the rounds for the release of the Zero Theorem in 2013, so I know he's at least aware of the book. At least one book reviewer seems to agree with me. If he does tackle it, I think it should be done as a mini-series for Netflix, rather than a theatrical movie.

Has anyone else read it? The English translation by Diana Burgin and Katherine Tiernan O'Connor is said to be one of the best ones. Here's The Master and Margarita on Amazon.com and Amazon.co.uk

Quick update: It seems Gilliam is more than just aware of Master, he wrote the introduction to one of Bulgakov's other books, Black Snow.
Between Philip Pullman, Philip K. Dick, Neal Stephenson, there's a lot of writers Gilliam would love to adapt for the screen... The problem is finding people who would finance it, as always Big Grin.
I have heard of Bulgakov's novel for a long time, and from Gilliam enthusiasts, too. What is it about, what's the gilliamesque part ?
I'm still reading it right now, but it's dense with themes that would attract a mind like Gilliam. Here's a quote from the review I linked above:
Quote:So what about Woland and his outlandish cohorts Behemoth, Azazillo and Koroviev? What a vividly drawn bunch of characters – at once spine chilling and hilarious. Quite apart from the fact they were meting out appalling justice all over the place, I liked them immensely. The dark world of this demonic retinue was beautifully drawn and allowed the reader to picture it in every detail. Stunning images were created like a desktop globe with real oceans and wars taking place on it to a live chess set with Kings swapping places with Bishops – delightful. Terry Gilliam sprung to mind.

If/when you start reading it, there's an unofficial fan site that has lots of information. The even have an iPhone/Android app (linked on the right side of the main page).

Also, there's a recent Sky Arts adaptation of Bulgakov's A Young Doctor's Notebook that's on Netflix Streaming (at least in the U.S.).
Yeah i heard very good things about A young doctor's notebook adaptation.
On March 15, 2015, at 22:00 GMT, BBC Radio 3 will broadcast The Master and Margarita. It will also be available to stream online. It seems to be a very truncated adaptation, though (unless there will be more episodes). You can read more about it here.
Apparently it will be adapted for the screen by... Baz Luhrmann : https://deadline.com/2019/12/baz-luhrman...202806494/