The Fisher King to get a new Criterion release in 2015
There's been no official announcement, but according to this post Gilliam is finishing up with Criterion for a new DVD/Blu-ray release of the film:

Quote:I do have a personal bit of info to drop, now that I'm over the shock of meeting Terry Gilliam twice now at DragonCon this year. He mentioned in the first panel he did that he was going to be flying back after the convention to London to oversee the final check on Criterion's new edition of The Fisher King, which sounded like a definite 2015 title. He was also asked The Adventures of Baron Munchausen, but it didn't sound like they were working on that currently.

I stumbled across this news via Twitter, and this tweet seems to confirm the news.
That's great to hear, though I wonder if the features from the out of print Laserdisc will be carried over.
Away
I don't see why not. They already own the rights to the commentary that Gilliam recorded. I wonder how long this has been in production. It seems a bit quick that they're almost finished with it (assuming Criterion decided to go ahead with the release after Robin Williams' death). I also wonder if more special features will be added this time around, and if a Robin Williams tribute will end up on the disc(s). The one thing we'll never get to hear, sadly, is commentary about the film by the comic genius himself (though I don't believe Williams recorded commentary for his films, anyway).

(For anyone who is curious, a list of the original special features from the Criterion Laser Disc can be found on this page.)
Gilliam confirms the Criterion DVD in this article.

Quote:“I had to watch Fisher King two weeks ago cause the Criterion Collection are doing a Blu-ray version of it and I had to look at it for technical reasons,” he told me. “What was interesting about watching the film was how – because Robin’s death has depressed me ever since — but watching the film is almost cathartic because he’s so alive in the film and it’s Robin. It’s not Robin playing a character. What you see on film is the full panoply of Robin, the joy, the madness, the torment. It’s all there on the film. I think it’s the only film that really captures who Robin really was in real life. I really enjoyed it. I came out of it with a huge smile on my face. Yeah, Rob! You’re still alive!” Gilliam cracked himself up.