Screenplay Review – The Man Who Killed Don Quixote (May 2000 draft)
Screenplay Review – The Man Who Killed Don Quixote, via Scriptshadow
113 pages (May 15th, 2000 draft)
Interesting plot, it would have been good to see how that would have panned out had it been made. But, we've established the new Don Quixote differs from the 2000 version, but how much??
The new version doesn't rely on classical time travel, that's for sure. Also I think that the character of Toby is now more likeable.
(I didn't read the review, tough)
AFAIK, the new version will be about an aging director who's once made an acclaimed film about Don Quixote when he was young, is suffering from the burden because he's never made another film remotely as good, and comes upon a lunatic who believes he is the real Quixote from the man's old movie. No time travel, and frankly, that plot sounds a lot like Fisher King to me, Terry's most realistic film to date.
I think you pretty much got it right though I don't think that the main character will be an "aging" director. Seems more like a 30-40 dude who went into commercials and never directed another fiction film from what I know.
It sounds like it might work. But it would have been interesting to see whether the 2000 version would have been any good.
I wonder if the reviewer is willing to share a PDF of the script, since we know that the original incarnation won't be used for the next attempt.
Away