Flickering Myth suggests Gilliam as director for Doctor Strange
Seeing as they just hired Johnny Depp for the title role, I could see why that might work. If only Gilliam was still interested in making a superhero flick. Read the rest of the list of possible directors here.
I highly doubt Gilliam will get the job. He and commercial filmmaking don't really mix well (Brothers Grimm, anyone?).
Away
Also, he'll (hopefully) be working on Quixote, so his schedule may be pretty tight (unless they're looking for a late 2015, early 2016 start date).

His 90's output suggests he can make a film with commercial appeal (minus Fear & Loathing). It's all about the script. See also Time Bandits.

I don't know much about the Doctor Strange character, but on the Wikipedia page, there's this quote:
Quote:"People who read 'Doctor Strange' thought people at Marvel must be heads [i.e., drug users]," recalled then-associate editor and former Doctor Strange writer Roy Thomas in 1971, "because they had had similar experiences high on mushrooms. But … I don't use hallucinogens, nor do I think any artists do."

So directing Fear & Loathing would be a plus for this job.

Also there's this quote (from Bradford W. Wright):
Quote:Steve Ditko contributed some of his most surrealistic work to the comic book and gave it a disorienting, hallucinogenic quality. Dr. Strange's adventures take place in bizarre worlds and twisting dimensions that resembled Salvador Dalí paintings. Inspired by the pulp-fiction magicians of Stan Lee's childhood as well as by contemporary Beat culture, Dr. Strange remarkably predicted the youth counterculture's fascination with Eastern mysticism and psychedelia. Never among Marvel's more popular or accessible characters, Dr. Strange still found a niche among an audience seeking a challenging alternative to more conventional superhero fare.

If a miracle happens and he somehow gets the job, I could see Doctor Strange as a younger Doctor Parnassus or Baron Munchausen type character (based on what little I've read on him).

Right now it's all speculation anyway. They'll probably give the job to Tim Burton, Gore Verbinski—or like the article suggests, "somebody who has directed a few episodes of Supernatural or Once Upon A Time and will be sure to tow the company line."

(BTW, those quotes make me want to track down some Doctor Strange comics.)
Hi
Ditko's run is one of the most unusual cornerstones of the Marvel universe.
He's proved a tricky character to integrate into their everchanging game plans since though writer Steve Englehart did some very intresting and really quite far out work with the character in the 70's.

There's also a great 90's graphic novel called What is is that disturbs you, Steven by P. Craig Russell.

Mark
The quotes make it sound like Dr. Strange may be the only Marvel/superhero asset I could be interested in besides the original Howard the Duck comics.