"Have You or Your Loved Ones Gone Zero Theorem?"
While I agree with you that the film is most definitely a satire of our digitally obsessed culture, I personally think that both the society that Qohen lives in, and he himself are inherently flawed. I forget where I read this, but someone pointed out that Qohen is constantly brushing away "The Call" he is waiting for, because it's not coming from his phone. Bainsley's character is the obvious example of this as she is a "call" girl who offers him love and a chance to escape, which he ultimately rejects. Also there's a scene of him shooing away some doves (symbolic of God's messengers). I actually felt a little sorry for Joby at the end (even though he was clearly wrong about what Qohen was up to with Bob). He felt betrayed by Quohen, leading me to believe that he did consider him a friend on some level—unlike the dynamic between Sam and either Kurtzmann or Jack in Brazil. I've also heard Gilliam refer to Qohen's story as a tragedy. You can engage with the world without being "a good little consumer and worker bee".

Messages In This Thread
RE: "Have You or Your Loved Ones Gone Zero Theorem?" - by cclark - 12-30-2014, 07:02 PM