The Making of Quixote
Sad 
Uh-Oh, the film's in trouble.

In a nutshell, Paulo Branco, who was producer until last September when he was kicked in the arse and kicked off the film when it was revealed he couldn't raise the money together in time, has taken the film to court in Paris claiming he still owns the rights to the film, and Gilliam started it without his permission. We'll have to see how this pans out.

Rough translation of page:

Quote:The "war" between Terry Gilliam and producer Paulo Branco
It will be a battle of a long judicial war that opposes the now-born United Kingdom-born Terry Gilliam, one of the Monty Python comedians, to Portuguese producer Paulo Branco because of the film "Man Who killed Don Quixote "

2017-05-19 21:34

[Image: 800]Terry Gilliam. Reuters
  [url=http://www.tvi24.iol.pt/cinema/terry-gilliam/ator-dos-monty-python-perde-batalha-legal-com-produtor-paulo-branco#][/url]
It will be a battle of a long judicial war that opposes the now-born United Kingdom-born Terry Gilliam, one of the Monty Python comedians, to Portuguese producer Paulo Branco because of the film "Man Who killed Don Quixote. "
According to Paulo Branco, the High Court of Paris confirmed the validity of the contract between the two parties. The Portuguese producer accuses Terry Gilliam of filming "illegal and illegal" and said that he holds the rights to the film, already confirmed in court.

Quote:[i]Clandestine and illegal, "[/i] are the words of Paulo Branco to label the filming of" The Man Who Killed Don Quixote ", which Gilliam has continued to carry out, working with another Portuguese producer.

Speaking to Lusa, Paulo Branco said that Terry Gilliam had requested the annulment of the production contract with producer Alfama Films, but that the Tribunal de Grande Instance de Paris stated that it remains valid for the production of the feature film, Already held in Portugal and is being completed in Spain.
The project, which involves several countries, came to rely on production of Paulo Branco, but the director ended up not fulfilling the partnership allegedly due to financing problems, opting to work with another Portuguese producer, Ukbar Filmes.

Paulo Branco now says that the exploration and use of the images of the film "can not exist without the prior consent of Alfama Films."
Pandora da Cunha Telles, of Ukbar Filmes, stressed in a statement sent to Lusa that "the French courts were decisive in rejecting the express request that Paulo Branco had made to stop the filming in progress such as the financing process Of the film along the background Eurimages ".
Source of the international production reminded to the agency 
[i]Lusa[/i] , that also they are running several processes in court against Paulo White, in Spain and the United Kingdom because of the same film.
Filming in the Canary Islands
"The man who killed Don Quixote" is an old project of Terry Gilliam, in a co-production between Portugal, Spain, France, Belgium and England, with a total budget of 16 million euros, of which 1.2 million euros were spent on Portugal.
In recent weeks, the film was shot in Portugal, for example, at the Convento de Cristo in Tomar, with a cast that includes American actor Adam Driver, Briton Jonathan Pryce, Swede Stellan Skarsgard, Ukrainian actress Olga Kurylenko, the Spanish Rossy de Palma and the Portuguese Joana Ribeiro, in addition to hundreds of local extras.
This week the team moved to Spain. According to the newspaper 
[i]La Provincia[/i] , the team will camp seated in the municipality of La Oliva, in the Canary Island of Fuerteventura.
With the shooting coming to an end, Terry Gilliam has already presented the first images of the film this week at the Cannes Film Festival in France.
With the argument of Terry Gilliam and Tony Grisoni, "The man who killed Don Quixote" is a transposition of Miguel Cervantes' well-known novel for the present.
Terry Gilliam was one of the founders of the British humor collective Monty Python and has authored several feature films since the 1970s, including "Monty Python and the Sacred Chalice", co-authored with Terry Jones, "Time Thieves" , "Brazil", "The Fantastic Adventure of the Baron", "12 Monkeys" and "The Brothers Grimm".
Still without an opening date, the film "The man who killed Don Quixote" must have national distribution guaranteed by the NOS.
Amazon Studios will most likely step in and put a stop to this. Branco just wants to squeeze some money out of the production.

Here's the most exciting quote from the story:

Quote:With the shooting coming to an end, Terry Gilliam has already presented the first images of the film this week at the Cannes Film Festival in France.
(05-20-2017, 08:07 PM)cclark Wrote: Amazon Studios will most likely step in and put a stop to this. Branco just wants to squeeze some money out of the production.

Here's the most exciting quote from the story:

Quote:With the shooting coming to an end, Terry Gilliam has already presented the first images of the film this week at the Cannes Film Festival in France.

I saw that, I hope it isn't marred by this slight wobble. But, as you say, Amazon will step in and hopefully send Branco packing. It was already proven that he turned out to be useless, but as I guessed a few pages back, Gilliam had a Plan B.
Lovely to hear it's this far along despite such an unfortunate twist.

M
We'll have to wait and see how this pans out, but in happier news, Jason Watkins, BAFTA award actor from The Lost Honour of Christopher Jeffries, and shows like Trollied and Line of Duty has a part in the film, and he's tweeted photos from on location!! Big Grin

https://twitter.com/Jason__Watkins/statu...5709536256

https://twitter.com/Jason__Watkins/statu...0836065280
Jeremy Thomas reacted to Paulo Branco's statement. He seems confident Branco won't have any ownership over the final film :
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/te...le-1005865

Quote:A statement from the film’s producers, which include Jeremy Thomas’ Recorded Picture Company, said Branco’s claims were “preposterous” and that he had “no rights whatsoever to Don Quixote,” adding that they had been forced to sue Branco in four countries.

“Senhor Branco’s interpretation of the law borders on the picaresque,” added RPC’s CEO Peter Watson. “If he really wants to kill the venerable don, I suggest he takes up jousting.”
Hang on!! When it collapsed last autumn, the film had been removed from the website of Paulo Branco's film company. I'd assumed he'd left the film, if he had, why is he kicking up a fuss now?
To me, Branco is disguising a defeat in victory : the court rejected his request to stop filming and cut fundings. Now he's just begging for a bit of money.

Meanwhile : https://www.instagram.com/p/BUXURe8lqcn/...donquixote
Yeah, that's what it is, a transparent bluff. But, it's good to see it hasn't caused filming to stop. It looks like they've known of Branco's actions for a while, and they've carried on regardless.
Apparently yesterday was the last day of filming : https://www.instagram.com/p/BUhmByNjy3K/?hl=fr