Shooting in Spain and tax deduction
You might remember that one of the argument for shooting "The man who killed Don Quixote" in Spain and particularly in the Canary Islands was the tax deduction of the region, which culminates at 38% in the Canary Islands, with no caps on the deduction.
Well, this could all change, as the spanish government released a draft for a new fiscal reform putting a cap on the tax rebate : the production wouldn't be able to get back more than 3 million euros. That's for any film, whatever its budget is.
So the Spain tax regime could go from being one of the most to one of the less attractive fiscal regime for filming in Europe...
Gilliam's producer Adrian Guerra wants to put pressure on the parliament to get amendents and save the tax rebate regime but I don't know how it'll turn out. I hope that the new reform won't be the final blow for Gilliam's film.
Stupid economic politics! No wonder the Spanish producers are upset over this urge for tax deduction. Angry
Away
Here's hoping Terry still finds a way to shoot the Man Who Killed Don Quixote. It's quite frustrating to see all the obstacles put in his way when he has so much creative talent and vision. Everything seems to revolve around graphic novels these days. If only Terry could get TMWKDQ or The Defective Detective made into a graphic novel, then maybe, he could get a little more traction for these projects. I mean if a 1982 French graphic novel called La Transperceneige can become the darling South Korean dystopian film of the summer (AKA Snowpiercer by director Bong Joong-Ho) then anything is possible, right?

If I remember correctly, wasn't TDD going to be made into a graphic novel by Dark Horse Comics a few years ago?

-Peter
Adrian Guerra is indeed rethinking his financing strategy for the film :
Quote:Among [Guerra]'s future projects are the next film from Paco Plaza, "Damn Friday" and the resurrection of the Terry Gilliam film about Don Quixote, a project that the 'Monty Python' has tried to make for more than a decade, without success.

"Our proposal was to make it 100% in Spain (shooting and crew). Such an approach is no longer feasible due to the fiscal reform. I'll Have to make a co-production with another country and shoot in another country."
source (+ google translate)