Gilliam is working on it (again)
Quote:Now that you're done with this one, is "The Man Who Killed Don Quixote" is back on?

Well, we'll see. My default position at the end of each film is that it's back to "Quixote." I've got a Spanish producer who is young, TK, and he discovered that the Canary Islands offer a 39% tax rebate. Ok, it begins. We don't have a cast, and we don't have the money. But I want to be doing it next autumn. We'll see.
http://www.indiewire.com/article/terry-g...ote?page=2

So no cast, no budget, but a producer and a juicy tax rebate...
I don't know what "TK" means... Maybe Telecinco Cinema ??

EDIT : Apparently, the "TK" in the interview was a typo. It's been erased now Big Grin.
According to Gilliam (from la stampa via theplaylist), filming will begin on october 3rd in the Canary Islands. Gilliam adds that he has found an american actor to play Toby Grosini but he doesn't tell who it is.
(01-07-2014, 03:56 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: Gilliam adds that he has found an american actor to play Toby Grosini but he doesn't tell who it is.

I was hoping for Benedict Cumberbatch, seeing as Gilliam had posted a picture of them having dinner a few months back.
(01-08-2014, 02:25 PM)cclark Wrote:
(01-07-2014, 03:56 PM)bruttenholm Wrote: Gilliam adds that he has found an american actor to play Toby Grosini but he doesn't tell who it is.

I was hoping for Benedict Cumberbatch, seeing as Gilliam had posted a picture of them having dinner a few months back.

I wonder who he's selected. But it's good news that he has a start date!!
Here he seems to say (around the 3rd minute) that he hasn't chosen any actor but that he only has the start date :

I wonder if Phil has some news about all this...
Big Grin 
What american actor he got for Toby Grosini/Sancho Panza is anyones guess. As for Don Quixote, I don't think there would be a better choice to cast than Jeff Bridges. Great actor #1, he's old enough, but not too old, he can ride a horse, he looks like him, he's bankable(especially with "The Giver" coming out later this year), and he's worked with Gilliam before. So how about it, The Dude for The Don?Big Grin

Bridges would make a brilliant Don Quixote, Gilliam got two brilliant performances out of him, lets go for the hat-trick!!
In a new interview made during Göteborg film festival, Gilliam says that he's now considering crowdfunding for the film (I suppose that it would cover just part of the budget) :
(with help from google translate)
Quote:Why not try crowdfunding then?

- Well, it's actually something I'm going to look at when I get back from Göteborg... I've met the man behind the "Veronica Mars" film project and he says he can raise more money for "Don Quixote". Many people said that it is the perfect project because so many people know the film and they want to see it. I have avoided the idea of ​​crowdfunding for a long time but now I think the most important thing is just to get it done so I can move on with my life.
The Playlist wrote an article on that Swedish interview, too (with a mention that Gilliam was offered—and turned down—a script written by Fellini).

If Gilliam is to go the crowdfunding route, now would be a great time to do it. He's been generating a lot of goodwill from his operas, The Zero Theorem, and especially the Python reunion.
The producer Adrian Guerra gives some details about the film (in spanish) :
Starting in october, the shoot will last 10 weeks in the islands of Gran Canaria and Fuerteventura (for a total of 4 weeks in the Canary Islands) as well as Madrid.
The budget will be 20 million dollars (whereas the las attempts were budgeted for 32 million).
The story will follow "an advertising director who made ​​a film about Don Quixote years ago and goes back to his old film at a time of personal crisis." (so there's no time travel anymore, as Gilliam said with previous rewrites)
(my thoughts : so very much a semi-autobiographic picture (?))